It’s a well known fact that we Brits love a good cup of tea. Tea is one of the most refreshing beverages, even on a blisteringly hot day. But tea doesn’t only quench your thirst, it has many health benefits.
- Tea's many beneficial phytochemicals can strengthen bones.
- Tea contains fluoride and tannins that may keep plaque at bay.
- Tea bolsters your immune system.
- Polyphenols, the antioxidants found in tea, have cancer-fighting effects.
- Drinking tea helps keep your arteries smooth and unblocked and may reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Tea contains only 30 to 40mg of caffeine per cup whereas coffee contains around 135 mg caffeine per cup. So switch to tea if you suffer from insomnia.
- A 5-year study in the Netherlands found that those drinking at least two to three cups of black tea daily had a 70 per cent lower risk of fatal heart attack compared to non-tea drinkers.
- Green tea actually increases metabolic rate and you can burn 70 to 80 additional calories by drinking just five cups of green tea per day.
- Tea doesn't have any calories, unless you add sweetener or milk.